Spring 2020 Convocation
University of Georgia Commencement
September 4, 2020
Update on the rescheduled Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony, currently set for October 16, 2020, and accompanying school and college convocations:
Unfortunately, social distancing indoors for large groups is not possible, so UGA’s individual school and college convocations in October have been canceled.
At present, plans for the outdoor Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony in Sanford Stadium remain very tentative. We continue to work carefully in hopes that we might be able to host a ceremony. However, any ceremony held would require social distancing and other modifications. To better prepare for a modified ceremony, we would like to know if you and your guests plan to attend. A survey was emailed today to the 2020 Spring and Summer undergraduates.
If a ceremony is possible, social distancing protocol and other modifications for the Undergraduate Ceremony include but are not limited to:
- elimination of the processional
- graduates to be seated with their guests in the stands
- social distancing throughout the Stadium
- masks worn by all
- ticketing for all attendees
- graduates will be limited in the number of guests they may bring
- a livestream option available to anyone and encouraged for those with certain medical conditions and high risk for severe illness from COVID-19 (see the CDC definition of high-risk)
- We recognize that these significant but necessary changes to our traditional ceremony may influence your decision to participate. We appreciate your patience as we continue to monitor the evolving public health conditions.
UGA College of Engineering Convocation
Based on the university’s guidance, the College of Engineering has made the difficult decision to cancel its Convocation, scheduled for Oct. 15 at the Classic Center. Although we know this is a disappointing development, we understand the university’s position and support its efforts to ensure the health and safety of graduates, their families, and guests.
We recognize the importance of celebrating our Spring 2020 graduates’ accomplishments and we are exploring alternative arrangements for our Convocation. We plan to identify an option and make an announcement by Sept. 11, 2020.